Conservation and Restoration of Diocesan House Façade
By Rebecca Merrill
The entrance above Diocesan House, which was built in 1912, is comprised of ornate stonework that surrounds windows to an office on one floor and an apartment on another.
In the 1950s, ivy had grown on the walls of the building, entangling itself into that stone and eventually necessitating its removal.
In the past few weeks, crews have started the months long project to restore the entrance façade. Engineers have begun removing stonework, which will be sent off to have new stones created to match the old ones. After that, they will examine the underlying bricks to see if those, too, need to be taken down and replaced.
While workers off-site are carving the new stones, our crew here will be securing and updating the original structure that supports the stones. Once the off-site and on-site work is all completed, it will come together to create a beautifully restored façade!
Diocesan House holds the offices for the Diocese of New York and Episcopal Charities as well as a handful of apartments. You can learn more about the history of the building on our website.