Limited Access and Early Closings in the Cathedral
Information updated 9/19/19
- The Shop at the Cathedral will be closed on Monday, September 23.
Cleaning and Conservation
On Palm Sunday 2019, a fire in the Cathedral's Crypt filled the building with smoke. In the immediate aftermath, workers cleaned everything in the Cathedral below 10 feet. This summer, workers are undertaking an extensive project to clean and conserve everything above 10 feet. This work will lead to ongoing and intermittent limited access to many parts of the Cathedral and change where many services and other activities take place. We thank you in advance for your understanding and continued support of this living Cathedral.
Ongoing Limited Access
- The Ambulatory, Chapels of the Tongues, High Altar, Great Choir, and Crossing are closed.
- There is limited access in the Nave as large lifts are being used for workers to clean the Bays and Nave.
- Access to the Columbarium is available Tuesday and Thursday from 12–1 pm and Saturday from 2–4 pm. Reservations are required and can be made by filling out our online form. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Due to the cleaning, we've had to reimagine our St. Francis Day celebration this year. While we will still have a festive Fair and Pet Blessings on the Pulpit Green in the afternoon of October 6, our traditional Festal Eucharist and Procession of the Animals will not take place.
- Daily services are being held in the Law Bay.
- Sunday services are being held in the Nave.
- The Treasures of the Crypt exhibition is closed.
- Our pipe organs have been temporarily silenced. Until they are cleaned, we are blessed to have use of the finest electronic organ available. Our Monday Organ Demonstrations are currently postponed until further notice.