Limited Access and Early Closings in the Cathedral: Fire Clean Up 2019
Information updated 12/2/19
Cleaning and Conservation
On Palm Sunday 2019, a fire in the Cathedral's Crypt filled the building with smoke. In the immediate aftermath, workers cleaned everything in the Cathedral below 10 feet. Over the summer and fall, workers are undertaking an extensive project to clean and conserve everything above 10 feet. This work will lead to ongoing and intermittent limited access to many parts of the Cathedral and change where many services and other activities take place. We thank you in advance for your understanding and continued support of this living Cathedral.
Ongoing Limited Access
- There is limited access to the Ambulatory, Chapels of the Tongues, High Altar, Great Choir, and Crossing.
- Daily services are being held in the Chapel of St. James.
- Sunday services are being held in the Nave.
- The Treasures of the Crypt exhibition is closed.
- Our pipe organs have been temporarily silenced. Until they are cleaned, we are blessed to have use of the finest electronic organ available. Our Monday Organ Demonstrations are currently postponed until further notice.